Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Fiction: A Skyblock Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

noirDes

Thread starter #1
( had a random bit of inspiration and thought I'd write up some of the adventures I'd already had in skyblock as a bit of fiction in the old pulp style. )

Journal Entry: Day 1

When one wakes up, there's certain things one expects. A bed and blankets are nice, but when traveling, it's not uncommon to wake up, cheek pressed into the sand on some random shore, wherever you happened to find someplace out of the open to pass out for the night. One opens ones eyes, peers across the landscape, sees the sun rising over the horizon.

Yes, *horizons*, that's what was missing this morning when I woke up. The sun rising without the majority of it being blocked. That and the landscape - or total lack of. I rolled over to get five more minutes and very nearly fell off the cliff - if you can call it a cliff when it's only three meters tall and has nothing at the bottom. Literally nothing. A vast, empty expanse. After a heart-fluttering terror and a scramble backwards - fortunately, not too far backwards - I found that I was on a tiny plot of land in the middle of a great blue void. Large enough for one tree, one chest, and me, and even then it was feeling rather claustrophobic. Can one be feeling claustrophobic and agoraphobic at the same time? Because this tiny island in the sky was doing a fairly good job of it for me.

I am proud to say that I did not fall into an irrational panic. My panic at the moment was quite rational, I assure you, unknown reader of this journal. Probably me. Hello, Future Me. Good to know I survived. I have no memory of how I had reached this impossible bit of landscape, and I hope you've dredged up more than that. When my justified bout of flailing and screaming into the abyss was over, I took inventory of the resources available to me - a depressingly quick affair.

More hearteningly, the inventory turned up a full set of simple stone tools, a bucket of lava, and a couple of ice blocks. Now, I would have much preferred the full workshop back home, but Father always did make certain that I would never blame the tools when it came to my work. I was not allowed to work with the good tools until I could make them myself. Father always felt that would make certain that I properly appreciated them and would take care of them, when I knew how much effort went into putting them together from scratch. And to his credit, he was right. I remember how terribly upset I got over every scratch and ding on that first set of tools I'd made.

First things first, Mother had always stressed the importance of having a home to come back to. I delved into the teleportation magic that Mother had taught me, and set a home beacon that I might be able to quickly blink back here, if I found myself somewhere that was somehow worse. Whatever had brought me to this place had destroyed my previous beacon, or I would already have been quit of this place.

I carved a couple of logs from the tree, leaving the rest floating. It was always a curiosity to me why some creatures, sand, and apples might fall, but almost nothing else does. Philosophers have discussed it for centuries. Newton got a particular reputation for getting drunk after yet another spectacular failure to come up with an explanation, ever since that apple fell on his head one sunny afternoon. He would go on and on about 'gravity' and how it was out to get him, but could never explain its particular selectivity in effect, though I understand from people whose math are better than mine that he advanced some quite elegant propositions in mathematical terms.

I'm much more practical in my approach, however. I didn't care about the mathematics, I just knew I didn't want to lose any saplings from that tree into the void, and if I cut down the rest, I knew it unlikely I would be able to capture any. With the logs I pulled I built a crude workbench, then set down with my stone shovel to dig out a pair of trenches, carefully preserving each bit of dirt I could. One trench opened over the side of the island, the other led into the first at a right angle. Easy enough. I put the ice into the end of the first trench and let it melt, until the flowing water made a waterfall down into infinity. With that first half ready, I poured out the lava into the end of the second trench. There was a great hissing noise as the two came together, and the lava cooled swiftly into rough cobblestone.

Ahhh, Father's lessons about making something from nothing were paying off. And I'd actually gotten it right on the first time, this time! I felt quite confident about my success - every previous attempt at a cobblestone generator had always taken four or five tries before I got it right. I sat down with a stone pick to gather up the cobblestone as soon as the water cooled it, readying myself for a long, meditative effort, knowing in advance that I would lose quite a bit into the lava birthing it, but without any real concern about the basics of survival. In retrospect, that smug confidence was probably why everything started going so very wrong afterwards. If I'd just stayed alert...

(Next time: Everything goes so very wrong)

noirDes

Thread starter #7
Journal Entry: Day 2

Sitting there, stone pick axe in hand, the regular hiss of lava and water coming together, the simple tonk tonk tonk of stone striking stone, the warmth of the sun and the crackle of the campfire at my back, I fell into something of a meditative state. Like the chanting of a far Eastern monk, or saying the rosary, one was able to leave one's self and forget the physical world and troubles around one, and dwell entirely in the moment, with no thought for the past or the future. I was able to take peace in all the little things.

And then I remembered I hadn't made a campfire.

I turned and looked up, and watched, to my horror, as the last few leaves of the tree crisped away into ash and nothing in flame and fire. Sure enough, I hadn't made my cobblestone generator correctly the first time - I'd put the lava and the water at the wrong ends. While not an inherent flaw in the cobblestone generator, it should perhaps be a simple, common sense proposition, if unspoken, that you never put lava at the base of a tree that you do not want to burn away.

I only had a single short log left of the tree. Whatever pick handles I could carve from its body, and the stone I could carve out from my cobblestone generator, represented the absolute limit of what resources were left to me. In a moment of foolishness and inattention, I had sacrificed my chance of survival.

Anger had not yet struck, but I could sense it lurking behind the denial and bargaining, ready to pounce. To lambast me for the mistake that had cost me everything. I had sat upon riches in the past, but in this place, a single sapling represented more wealth than I had ever seen. How could this have happened? How could I have let this happen? It couldn't be. If I hunted around in the grass, some small nut, some sapling, may have fallen from the tree, something from which I could sprout another. This self-deception was much harder to keep going in light of how minuscule the island in the void was - there was nowhere for such a sapling to hide. Except into the lava.

Bargaining didn't have much going for it, in such a small space and with so few resources. Despondently, I sat down again, and tried to recover my previous peace by digging into the task of recovering cobblestone from the lava and water once more, but the act no longer held that same tranquility. My mind kept at how I had screwed up, at the brand new futility of my situation. I had been at the bare minimum resources necessary for survival, and I'd squandered one of those bar minimum resources. There had been no room for folly.

A glint in the stone caught my attention. Wait ... was that ... a bit of iron ore? Truly? Where had that come from? Never before had water and lava made iron. Perhaps it was in the lava used - though I'd never heard there were types of lava before. Or perhaps it had something to do with the lack of protective bedrock guarding us from the mysterious plane of darkness below our world. Could the unshielded dark radiation from its unplumbed depths affect the physics of our world so? I had heard theories that this is why the depths held superior mineral resources - because of its proximity to the dark radiation. Was that reaching all the way up here, now? Eagerly, I dug with my pick axe, worrying away at the stone around the shard of metal. With shaking, excited fiures, I pulled it out, fumbled it, send it in a small arc through the air ... and into the lava with a hiss.

Stunned, I stared, as yet another perfectly ordinary bit of cobblestone solidified between the lava and water. I took a deep breath, and let it out.

Well, that pretty much summed up my situation. Denial and bargaining both behind me, the sharp lash of anger battered at my mind. Stupid. STUPID. After I had just learned the vital nature of caution, to send my very first chance at a new resource, my first raw iron, back into the lava? I raged at myself, I waved my fist in the air.

Another bit of my Mother's training came at that time, as I pondered my own foolishness. A touch of a psychic connection in the back of my head - and not an unfamiliar one. An old friend of an old friend, long since a friend in her own right. Mietm. A fellow traveler, like me, with a similar history and skill set, though with perhaps a better eye towards decorative beauty. I focused my mind to receive her connection, and it was as if words appeared in the air in front of me. "Hello!"

Stunned at the connection, I greeted her back in kind. She was, as I was, stuck in a small island in the air. She was, as I was, trying to increase her resources. But unlike me, she hadn't lost her tree - she had several. And, as it turned out, she had a spare sapling. The spike of my anger had been the psychic signal she'd needed to find me with her mind.

So nice when the cycle of grief and despair can be short-circuited with a little help from a friend, who can accomplish what you can't. A little focus on both our parts, and the psychic portal opened. A small sapling appeared in the air before me, falling into my hands.

You can be quite sure, I planted that one away from the lava before I got back to the cobblestone generator.

Status
Not open for further replies.