Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

A fox, a pig, and a sweet berry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallideadly

Known Member
Thread starter #1
It began when I discovered that sweet berry bushes can be planted on farmland. Knowing that hoppers can pull items through farmland gave me questions I needed to research through trial and error. (best way to be absolutely sure yourself)
Foxes can pick sweet berries and bonemeal can be used to make the berries instantly regrow. One big discovery in the exploration of answers is that foxes would rather have a nap on the farmland than pick berries. This means I need to get a pig involved to put these foxes in their place and get them working.
With a commander and chief keeping them on their toes productivity picked up immensely. Not sure why the fox fears a completely passive and peaceful creature as the pig unless they feel threatened by the pigs intelligence. Whatever the reason, the foxes do not rest while pig is the house.
I tried many styles of sweet berry farms from the fields of bushes with hopper minecarts running underneath and a few foxes picking them above to single cell setups to keep the animals contained. Also tried farmland verses grassland, tried with the pig at varied distances. All my findings led to the single cell setup expanded to be two 3x2 areas with two foxes in each cell and a pig in the center between the two cells as shown below.

the fox, the pig, and the berry (2).png

More hoppers were needed to gather drops not landing on farmland. Room for the foxes to move off of farmland has increased the rates a lot. Carpets on the hoppers keep the foxes from dropping down in a hopper which slows their productivity.
This design is bonemeal heavy, the more cells the more bonemeal. A decent moss farm would feed enough composters to fuel this small of a machine.
The redstone does not need the note blocks, any solid block is good except for redstone lamps. (redstone lamps are a little slower to react and a signal from an observer is a single tick, the dispenser might not be triggered).
Dispenser will not use bonemeal on a fully grown berry bush even when triggered to do so. Here is a full side view of my first single cell setup;

the fox, the pig, and the berry (1).png

Things of note; The pig is in a minecart, the minecart is on a rail. The rail is on a water logged half slab. Place carpet on hoppers before introducing the foxes. If the farmland is not wet it will turn to dirt and then the hopper under it will no longer pick up items. There is a glass block above the minecart, shoved by piston.
The fox on the left picked a berry and the machine has activated as represented by the redstone lamp, (which I now know is flawed in the stacked cell design)

The motivation for this session of creativity is the fact that sweet berries pay the most of all farmable crops in survival (/shop).

Hope this helps, have fun out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.