Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Tutorial: How to make a sorting system on Foxcraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
Hello,

A lot of players have already asked me how I made my sorter on the skyblock glacier server for my mine, so for my 100th post, I've decided to make a little tutorial for it :D

Uhm, aren't there a lot of tutorials on youtube for sorters?
Yes there are, but almost all of them are for singleplayer worlds, where redstone, hoppers, ... work perfectly.
On servers like Foxcraft however, redstone is nerfed a bit to reduce lagg on the servers, so the sorting systems work differently.

In wich servers can it be used?
I personally use it on skyblock glacier for my mine, but you could also use it on other servers. do keep in mind that there is a very low hopper limit on skyblock vulcan, so you can only sort about 5 items max, keeping the sorter small.
Another server where you could use it are the factions servers, not for a mine, but just a sorter in you faction base.

So What do you need?
In general:
  • at least two chests (one to put your items to be sorted and one for junk items)
  • at least 3 hoppers
+ each item you want to be sorted
  • at least one chest
  • at least 4 hoppers
  • a comparator
  • a repeater
  • 2 redstone
  • at least 4 blocks
So let's get started!
First of you need to place a storage chest at least 3 blocks high, this will be your junk chest.
Place a hopper facing into it on the side, and keep adding hoppers in this direction (see screenshot).
above the last hopper you'll place your chest where to be sorted items will be placed.

upload_2016-11-11_13-52-5.png

Your first sorter! (repeat from here for each sorter)
Now we're going to make the first sorter.
Hoppers can bug a bit, in single player worlds the hopper beneath another one should get filled up before the hopper next to it, but on servers this isn't always the case.

Place a hopper beneath the second hopper and place items in the first chest. If these items get placed in the new hopper, that place is good for a sorter. If the items skip the hopper underneath, and go straight trough to the junk chest, try placing the hopper one place further. If none of the places work, try building this design somewhere else/in another direction.

upload_2016-11-11_13-57-25.png

Once you've found a good spot, place a chest one down and one block to the front (see screenshot), and place a hopper facing into the chest underneath the previous hopper.

upload_2016-11-11_14-0-29.png

Now the redstone part!
Now that the hoppers are placed, all the building that has to be done is the redstone!
place a block at the back of the hopper and one underneath. place another block on the back of the top one, and one diagonally down from this one (see screenshot).

upload_2016-11-11_14-6-20.png

now place a torch underneath the bottom hopper, as in the screenshot, A repeater facing into this block and redstone dust on the block behind an above the repeater. Finish of with a comparator leaving the second hopper (into the redstone dust)

upload_2016-11-11_14-9-45.png

Finishing the sorter!
Now the sorter is ready, all we need to do is to place the items you want to sort into the hoppers.
The bottom sorter should always be filled up with a stack of the items to sort in the first slot and items you won't use in the other 4 slots (a renamed item in the 4 slot's could also work if you want to use every single item)

Just like this: upload_2016-11-11_14-13-46.png

The redstone torch underneath this hopper prevents the items on leaving the hopper.

The hopper above should have at max 20 items (one emerald in the first slot, 19 random items in the other slots NOTE: Do not put items in the other slot you would out into the sorter).

Like this: upload_2016-11-11_14-19-22.png

So... how does the sorting work exactly?
The way this will work is that the items in the first hopper will stack up till there are 4 items in the first slot (so 23 in total). At this amounth, the comparator will give enough redstone signal to turn the redstone torch of, allowing the bottom hopper to drop items.
Hoppers on Foxcraft can send 3 items trough at a time. This way there will be 3 places for new items in the first slot, wich will be willed up by 3 items of the first slot in the hopper above, leaving that hopper with one item again.
The top hopper won't have anough items anymore to power the repeater so the redstone torch will turn on again, blocking the items again till the treshold of 4 items.

Your first sorter is ready!
Congratz, you've made your first sorter! you can expand this design as far as you like by repeating from the step "Your first sorter!".

IMPORTANT TO KNOW!
The redstone on servers can break sometimes, so if there are big amounths of the same items going trough (like cobblestone in my case), the hopper could break once in some hours, letting cobblestone trough the hoppers. In this situation you'll just need to fill the two hoppers again as it's supposed to be and it will work again.

Any questions?
I hope this tutorial is usefull for some players, if you got any questions, just post it as a reaction, or post it on my profile. You can also find me a lot on skyblock glacier and opprison.

If you'd like a ingame example, you can go to /is warp DebleuTL on the skyblock glacier server, go up the stairs on the side of the building, and go downstairs inside.

upload_2016-11-11_14-38-36.png

Thread starter #3
It isn't complicated each sorter, but for me it got very complicated because I had to build it in a very small space xD

RedTheFox999

Friend
Donator
Unfortunately, that is NOT the overflow-proof design. I use the overflow-proof design so I can collect ALL my items. :D

Thread starter #9
You should make a video, it would help a lot of players not only on Foxcraft but on YouTube in general.
Yeah, but if I made a video it would be a crappy video witouth intro or voice or whatever haha. And it also takes a day to upload a video to youtube on our 0.5mb/s uploadspeed xD

Status
Not open for further replies.