Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Query: Fortune enchantment changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noirDes

Thread starter #1
I have to ask - have changes been made to the effectiveness of fortune pickaxes? I have a Fortune III pickaxe, but when I use it in a controlled setting to mine ores (I mine the ores with a silk touch pickaxe, then set up the ores away from lava so that I can measure how much I get from them) I consistently get far less than I should be getting from Fortune III.

Using the table here:
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

With a stack of 16 Nether Quartz Ore, I should have gotten an average of 2.2 quartz per ore for an average amount of 35 quartz. After mining them, I ended up with 28 quartz.
With a stack of 64 Lapis Lazuli Ore, I should have gotten an average of 14.3 lapis lazuli per ore for an average amount of 915 lapis lazuli. I got 832.
With a stack of 64 Coal Ore, I should have gotten an average of 2.2 coal per ore for an average amount of 140. I got 138.

This all seems relatively like it could just be bad luck... except that this only considers fortune itself. when you consider that I haven't yet included my Spelunking V chance to get 2x drops from ore. That makes it look more like:

Quartz: Expected: 47, got: 28
Lapis: Expected: 1107, got: 832
Coal: Expected: 186, got: 138

Running a new test now that I just got Spelunking VI, which should give me a 48% chance to get x2 drops from ores, I get:

64 coal. Expected: 208. Got: 132
64 coal. Expected: 208. Got: 161
64 coal. Expected: 208. Got: 148

With these, I got slightly more than previous tests... just barely edging me up above average for using only Fortune III, and not at all close to my numbers that I should be getting with Spelunking VI.

Am I missing something with my expectations, here?

It is also possible that player-placed blocks will have a lower fortune rate. I have seem similar things done for piston pushed blocks.

I would be curious what the results are if you place the blocks and then let them sit until they no longer register as placed/pushed - though I do not know what that time limit is.

It is also possible that player-placed blocks will have a lower fortune rate. I have seem similar things done for piston pushed blocks.

I would be curious what the results are if you place the blocks and then let them sit until they no longer register as placed/pushed - though I do not know what that time limit is.
no thats luckily not the case because naturally generated ores or ores generated via the cobble gen are also dropping less

Status
Not open for further replies.