Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Is water wet?

Is water wet?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Idk I think fire is burnt

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donator
Banned #22
water doesnt have itself on it, the molecules connect to eachother, so technically its not "on top" of water its having existing water and merging it together. The molecules never change from H2O they just connect more h2O molecules. They are held by a strong bond each molecule H H and O doesn't connect with another H H and O so technically it can't be on another particle. its literally IMPOSSIBLE. So in fact, water is not on top of eachother and you are indeed the stupid one.
ok so originally i was trolling but no this message is so unbelievably stupid and im going to prove you wrong.

H2O Molecules in a bottle of water are not connected to each other on a molecular scale. They are connected with gravity. The hotter they are, the more the H2O particles vibrate causing them to be in one of 3 states of matter. Solid, Liquid or Gaseous.

Water is liquid and are being pulled together using gravity, not inter molecular bonds. If they were connected using intermolecular bonds then it wouldn't be H2O and instead a completely different compound altogether.

Untitled.png
Here is what 4 H2O molecules would look like next to eachother. Note how they are not bonded together but are together instead due to the gravitational pull of eachother.

Untitled.png
Here we have a solid in a container, a liquid in a container and a gas in a container, These are Ice, Water and Steam.

The solid, because colder than the liquid and gas, has less energy and therefore being more tightly packed together through gravity. It has no energy to compensate for the effects of gravity on one another.
The liquid has some energy due to being warmer than the solid and therefore can compensate for the gravity each molecule is affecting one another with.
The gas has the most energy and therefore can easily compensate for the gravitational pull of each molecule. See how they're not connected together on a molecular scale? If they were, going by your definition, there would be no such thing as liquid and gas. Only Solid. Also there it would be impossible to be able to drink water, because its quite difficult to drink a singular molecule of something.

Also all the elements in your body would fuze together making you one big blob of a single compound.

I'm talking about in a liquid scale, the thing that technically gets things "wet" The negatively charged oxygen ion is attracted only to the positively charged hydrogen ions of other H2O molecules. I'm saying since two different molecules fully connect with eachother, you're not technically getting water on top of water making it wet, I'm saying they just become more water connected together by a covalent bond, not seperate water on top of eachother as the post claimed.

Donator
Banned #25
I'm talking about in a liquid scale, the thing that technically gets things "wet" The negatively charged oxygen ion is attracted only to the positively charged hydrogen ions of other H2O molecules. I'm saying since two different molecules fully connect with eachother, you're not technically getting water on top of water making it wet, I'm saying they just become more water connected together by a covalent bond, not seperate water on top of eachother as the post claimed.
Lots of water in close proximity to eachother aren't covalent bonds. They're just covalent bonds next to other covalent bonds. These covalent bonds (the H20) are all on top of eachother and surrounded eachother. Therefore the H20 (water) is on top of itself. If the only way to get something wet is to put water on top of it, water itself is also wet due to it having its own individual covalent bonds on top of one another therefore having water on top of water. Therefore making it wet.

Deefol

Banned #30
  • Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'. A less impinging sense experience of water is that it is cold or warm, while visual experience tells us that it is green or blue or muddy or fast-flowing. We learn by experience that a sensation of wetness is associated with water: 'there must be a leak/I must have sat in something.'

Jacqueline Castles, London W2.​

• Any fluid could be said to be wet if wetness is a result of the sensation caused by the movement of a fluid over the skin. Have you ever noticed that you can't feel wetness if you hold your hand perfectly stillwhile it is submerged, or that a drop of water on the skin doesn't feel wet?

Chris and Shevvy Ould, Chesterfield, Derbyshire.​

• The wetness of water is thought to be due to its high moisture content.

(Dr) Jason A. Rush, Dept of Mathematics, Edinburgh University​

• WATER is wet to make it a more marketable commodity.

Sam McBride-****, Colchester.​

• The questioner will be little enlightened by the previous replies and you must surely give him or her another chance. Twoanswers were humorous; two were just wet. As an amateur photographer, I am familiar with what is, I think properly, called wetting agent, which is added to water - to the final washing after developing and fixing - to make it wet with respect to the surfaces of photographic film. Without this agent the water resides on film in blobs, resulting in drying marks; with it, most of the water drains off and the rest dries evenly. So in response to the query I would say (a) water isn't always wet; wetness is always relative to a given substance and/or type of surface and (b) as to why it is wet when it is, presumably the answer is in terms of surface tension.

Laurie Hollings, Brighton.​

ok so originally i was trolling but no this message is so unbelievably stupid and im going to prove you wrong.

H2O Molecules in a bottle of water are not connected to each other on a molecular scale. They are connected with gravity. The hotter they are, the more the H2O particles vibrate causing them to be in one of 3 states of matter. Solid, Liquid or Gaseous.

Water is liquid and are being pulled together using gravity, not inter molecular bonds. If they were connected using intermolecular bonds then it wouldn't be H2O and instead a completely different compound altogether.

View attachment 5786
Here is what 4 H2O molecules would look like next to eachother. Note how they are not bonded together but are together instead due to the gravitational pull of eachother.

View attachment 5787
Here we have a solid in a container, a liquid in a container and a gas in a container, These are Ice, Water and Steam.

The solid, because colder than the liquid and gas, has less energy and therefore being more tightly packed together through gravity. It has no energy to compensate for the effects of gravity on one another.
The liquid has some energy due to being warmer than the solid and therefore can compensate for the gravity each molecule is affecting one another with.
The gas has the most energy and therefore can easily compensate for the gravitational pull of each molecule. See how they're not connected together on a molecular scale? If they were, going by your definition, there would be no such thing as liquid and gas. Only Solid. Also there it would be impossible to be able to drink water, because its quite difficult to drink a singular molecule of something.

Also all the elements in your body would fuze together making you one big blob of a single compound.
you know what else is solid ? the element in my peepee will become solid when it's going in and out of your mom's mouth loser with his chemistry bonds lmao

Donator
Banned #34
  • Water isn't wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it impinges on our state of being. We, or our possessions, 'get wet'. A less impinging sense experience of water is that it is cold or warm, while visual experience tells us that it is green or blue or muddy or fast-flowing. We learn by experience that a sensation of wetness is associated with water: 'there must be a leak/I must have sat in something.'

Jacqueline Castles, London W2.​

• Any fluid could be said to be wet if wetness is a result of the sensation caused by the movement of a fluid over the skin. Have you ever noticed that you can't feel wetness if you hold your hand perfectly stillwhile it is submerged, or that a drop of water on the skin doesn't feel wet?

Chris and Shevvy Ould, Chesterfield, Derbyshire.​

• The wetness of water is thought to be due to its high moisture content.

(Dr) Jason A. Rush, Dept of Mathematics, Edinburgh University​

• WATER is wet to make it a more marketable commodity.

Sam McBride-****, Colchester.​

• The questioner will be little enlightened by the previous replies and you must surely give him or her another chance. Twoanswers were humorous; two were just wet. As an amateur photographer, I am familiar with what is, I think properly, called wetting agent, which is added to water - to the final washing after developing and fixing - to make it wet with respect to the surfaces of photographic film. Without this agent the water resides on film in blobs, resulting in drying marks; with it, most of the water drains off and the rest dries evenly. So in response to the query I would say (a) water isn't always wet; wetness is always relative to a given substance and/or type of surface and (b) as to why it is wet when it is, presumably the answer is in terms of surface tension.

Laurie Hollings, Brighton.​
Ok now find random individual people online that say water is wet. Literally no one has heard or any of these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.